Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Gratitude and Joy

I feel like I am going to explode... So, instead, I am blogging.2013 has been amazing thus far. I chose a New Year's resolution that actually challenges me in a new way (vs lose weight, run more, etc...) I am reading one book a month. For someone who reads a lot, I'm sure this is that big of a deal for you, but it is a huge deal to me! I didn't even like reading. But, I noticed that I was in a place where I needed to rest more and do less. My mom pointed out to me that my need for everything to be neat/clean had increased and that I'd never been that way before. Not that I've ever been super messy or filthy but just needing everything to be perfect. So, I decided to challenge myself. During Hayes' nap time, I could clean for about 20 minutes (pick up toys and maybe one chore) then I had to read. For an hour or a chapter. Then, if time allowed, I could go back to whatever I wanted to do. This practice worked. I am more rested and surprisingly, the house is still clean.
My January book, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, blessed my life in such an astounding way. I knew from different times with The Lord and in the Word that gratitude would be my theme this year. God has changed my heart and made me gracious. He has enabled me to see His gifts and praise Him for them. Carrie Cook, an extremely wise, God-fearing woman, taught me an incredible lesson early on in my marriage: when you are frustrated with a person find 3 things about that person (husband/friend) to be thankful for to God. Simple enough. And it works. Why? Because when I am thankful - I cannot be angry. Back to my book - it teaches thankfulness/graciousness in a way I needed more than I knew. That's an understatement. I can't explain how God opened my eyes and heart to receiving the truths in that book but I am so thankful for them. It's changed how I mother - I am more patient. It's changed how I pray, how I worship. How I love Seth and serve
him.

Joy. Joy has flooded my life. Maybe because having a mindset of thankfulness keeps me humble - it keeps me focused on my gracious God who loves me so much and wants joy for my life.

Trust goes with these gifts. As I am remembering to be thankful, receiving joy and being humbled - I REST in trusting
God. Maybe rest is my second theme. To stop being so busy and rest in Him.

I'm just overwhelmed by His love... And I hope I live with this feeling forever. Come Lord Jesus, come.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment